In less abstract terms, today was awesome. I went with my sister to La Vega, on of the big central markets in Santiago. It is like the Maryland Food Center Authority as if it were a farmers' market - a GIANT farmers' market. I've never seen so much food! Much less, the size of it. HUGE bunches of celery, beet, chard, carrots, lemons, oranges. Chile produces a massive variety of fruits and vegetables year round, so it was an amazing selection, now springtime.
But Also so dirty. In an area of town near the "fabric district" ... tons of super cheap yardage that I will most certainly be investigating. Unfortunately I didn't take pictures because it happens to be in a needy/shady area of town, so for the first visit I didn't want to take my chances. But I will definetly try to get some photos to share from this amazing world that I'm now in.
I'm so lucky to be with my sister. She is is smart and cool, knows how to negotiate and joke with the vendors, and is truly a local. Although I'm getting better daily with my Spanish which is aun "Muy Basico" there's no way I would have been able to survive in the jungle which was La Vega. The pace, the beat and the language all have such specific intricacies which I'm only begin to skim the surface of... but I love it.
And today was also the first time I felt that love for adventure. I'll admit it, I've been scared, worried, that all I've worked towards securing - a feeling of purpose in my community and a drive towards creating and blossoming the theatre - was somehow lost in my replacement, misplacement, displacement of being. But today I realized, that all of that is still possible and with me, and somehow, not. In a very spiritual sense, we all truly have nothing, and I think that I became more comfortable with "just being," as they say. And its really liberating and exciting and full of endless love.
I think instead of posting photos here, which tends to take lots of time, I will be uploading photos to a flickr account. Hopefully posted soon!
I wish I could share all what I'm experiencing, but it's just too hard to regurgitate so freshly absorbed! More, soon!
I never visited La Vega while living in Santiago, but I heard the stories of visits in the 1950's and 60's. Some things, thankfully, never change. Thanks for the experience.
ReplyDeleteHey, did you hear the news about the miners. They reached them @ 0800 this morning and say they'll be out in 2-8 days, YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeletei want more,,,i like and enjoy your writting.
ReplyDeletehave fun Pili..